Not long ago, Apple (especially the Mighty Mr. Jobs) could do no wrong at all. They were the cool geeks, leading the world out of the dark canyons of Wintel captivity. But slowly, ever so slowly, chinks have appeared in their iArmor.
You've probably seen the latest - Apple is fighting like hell to punish the free spirits who've dared to unlock their iPhones. One update after another is pumped out by Apple, preventing people from loading their own MP3s as ringtones, and now bricking the unlocked phones.
But now, reports are starting to come in that some people who haven't tampered with their phones are having problems with these updates, too. This is going to really hurt Apple.
These are some of the same people who stood in lines for hours and hours just to buy one of these new phones. Why? Because Apple wasn't just another phone company, and they weren't going to treat their customers like regular phone customers. No, these people were special. They were the iFaithful.
Sorry, folks. Apple's chasing those bad, bad iUnlockers with such vigor that they're running over their best customers. That's going to leave a mark.
In case you're keeping score at home, kids, here are some of the lowlights Apple's hit over the last few months:
- Jobs stock option scandal. Teflon Steve seems to have wriggled out of this, but we'll see if he stays clean.
- iPhones can't be activated (link no longer active). Apple sells half a million phones, but only 146,000 are activated because AT&T customer service bites.
- No open platform for iPhone (link no longer active). In today's Facebook and widget environment, more people than ever understand why open is good. Steve doesn't.
- iBills come in boxes. Not looking too green, Apple.
- Ringtones are locked. Then they're unlocked. Then they're locked again.
- New iPods have problems.
- Apple bricks unlocked phones.
- Apple messes up "good" phones.
Let me know if I missed any.
So I really think someone should jump on this and make a new "Mac Guy" vs. "Motorola Guy" or "Sprint Guy" or something like that where the Mac Guy is stuck in jail, or Steve Jobs comes out with a hammer and pummels his phone or something. Let's see who's got the moxie to take the first shot - I can't wait!